Monday, July 7, 2014

The Hidden Intellectual

On page 201 I believe Graff is disagreeing with this quote by Elvis “I don’t dig the intellectual bit, but I’m telling you man, he knows the most.” Graff response to this quote “Though I too thought I did not dig the intellectual bit, I see now that I was unwittingly in training for it.” I think his response to this quote by Elvis was a disagreement because he says that he thought he agreed with Elvis that he didn’t dig the intellectual bit, but he sees now he was in training for it. Graff disagrees with the assumption “It’s possible to wax intellectualism about Plato, Shakespeare, and the French Revolution, but not about cars, fashion or sports. According to Graff’s thinking intellectualism can come from anywhere not just scholastically. On page 204, Graff is disagreeing with Ned Laff. when Laff states “the challenge is not simply to exploit students’ nonacademic interests, but to get them to see those interests through academic eyes.” I feel Graff disagrees with this statement by Laff because his responses to this with “to say that students need to see their interests through academic eyes, is to say street smarts are not enough.” He says this tactic won’t move them closer to an academically accurate treatment of those interests.

Honestly, I think I now am also intellectual in sports, specifically baseball. When I enter a conversation about baseball/sports I automatically always have ideas and know what to say because that’s my intellectualism. I don’t know why but I find it interesting to talk about who will win MVP this year or Cy Young award with others. It’s also fun to get into debates and bash others when they tell me their team is the cubs. Arguments about sports can really be more interesting than subjects at school. Sports arguments include various analysis and complex statistics. But I wouldn’t say I was always intellectual in sports, back when I was a kid I wasn’t the most intellectual when it came to sports, simply because I was never really an athletic kid and therefore didn’t like to play sports nor talk about it. Another reason could be the fact that sports wasn’t really such a hot topic for kids back then and nobody was really talking about it as kids, because they weren’t interested, but now as teens I feel sports became a very popular discussion because most teens nowadays are interested in sports.


(book cover) Source: http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com/

4 comments:

  1. cool picture would you say you have "street smarts" also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i would say i have street smart. Probably more than book smart too :-)

      Delete
  2. Great post! But why did you include a book cover? Is this a book you've read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read it, just thought it might relate with "Hidden Intellectualism"

      Delete