Thursday, July 3, 2014


My Zombie, Myself: Why Modern Life Feels Rather Undead

       In the story "Why we Crave Horror Movies" By Stephen King, He claims that many watch horror movies to satisfy our feelings and the bad in us. We all do crazy things sometimes in our lives. King states, "We go to re-establish our feelings of essential normality; the horror movie is innately conservative, even reactionary"(4). While in the story "My Zombie, Myself: Why Modern Life Feels Rather Undead ", Chuck Klosterman describes zombies like monsters. Klosterman uses an example of the "Barn of Terror" (388) to show how the invasion of zombies from the corny darkness cause them to be fear while they were looking for fun.  Klosterman states, "We were told to run through the moonlit corn maze if we vanted to live; as we ran, armed soldiers yelled contradictory instructions while hissing zombies emerged from the corny darkness. It was designed to be fun, and it was." He continues to explains his feeling about the strang scenario. For instance he writes a quote, "I know this is supposed to be scary," he said. "But I'm pretty confident about my ability to deal with a zombie apocalypse. I feel strangely innformed about what to do in this kind of scenario.'" (page 388).
      We may try to avoid them because we express anxiety from causing disease to us. The most important to us about zombie is killing. Klosterman presents zombies like a phenomenon we cannot get rid of them. As he mentions, "The zombies you kill today will merely be replaced by the zombies of tomorrow" (19).
        King's ideas are agree with Klosterman to the point that many people have fear to be existing.
Question # 4:
"This is our collective fear projection: that we will be consumed" (Klosterman 13). I think Klosterman tries to tell that our fear depends on us. As the technology is growing up, we become more expose to our fear. I agree with him because more we immerge in the technology , the most fear we would know. Without any  doubt, that fear may cause anxiety to us.


http://www.google.com/search?q=Zombie+pics&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&imgil=C8BE1

2 comments:

  1. Late!

    I'm also not totally sure I understand how you're relating the two article. And where's your pic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am sorry for the picture. I found the same problem after I updated it. Now, I think it's ok.

    ReplyDelete