Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Journal of the frustrated reader



            So how should I begin?  I guess I’ll start with where I read the Dracula novel.  I read it while I’m laying in bed and not really doing much, or when I wake up early in the morning because of my inability to stay unconscious for more than 4-5 hours at a time when I sleep.  I find that reading like 20-30 pages of the novel at a time, speeds up the process of falling asleep at night.  After that much reading for me I sleep like a little baby.  Normally I would annotate the book with sticky notes but I got lazy so I’ll just have to rely on my memory for the time being.  I understand most of the reading the old English gets a little tough to understand but you can still make out what they are saying.

            So far the novel is ok.  I got nothing against novel, but some of these characters in the novel gets on my nerves.  Probably means that the writer did a good job in writing the story, since I’m feeling something about the characters.  One excellent example of my frustration in reading the novel was the character Mina.  When she finally finds her Jonathan, in the poor state that he was in weak and delirious, he hands her his little pocket book that details everything that has happened to him while he was gone, but instead of reading the damn book like what he told her to do so she would know what had happen.  She goes and gives it back to him all wrapped up and I quote, “…I took the book from under his pillow, and wrapped it up in white paper, and tied it with a little bit of a pale blue ribbon which was around my neck, and sealed it over the knot with sealing-wax,…”(116)  I was like, “Really lady?! That was the very thing that would have answered all your questions!”  So yeah, I hated these parts of the novel, with all the, should’ve done this and everything would have been answered or resolved in some form.

 
This picture would basically depict what I would look like after reading 20-30 pages in one go at night. Although, I would be in bed doing the same thing.


2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way ! its funny to how mina can be so blind to the obvious

    ReplyDelete