Monday, July 7, 2014

Hidden Intellectualism





The reason why I posted this picture is because the different light bulbs represent the different mentalities we use in multiple situations. The pop art background represents our pop culture because no matter the difference in how its brought, its universal and anyone can be integrated into it.

Hidden Intellectualism is in every culture and I believe it’s basic tool for survival. It also differentiates people within society. Meaning those with multiple intellectual factors are prone to success than an average person with basic understanding. Graff states,”Everyone knows some young person who is impressively ‘street smart’ but does poorly in school”. Basically Graff is saying that many people have this street smart quality, claim to not have academic skills. Though I concede that some people may believe they can't be accomplished in education, I still insist that this is a psychological believe because many people who have street intellect can also apply it to multiple different situations. People who have this intellect should be able to adapt it to whatever situation they're in. In his essay, Hidden Intellectualism, Graff maintains that, “Real intellectuals turn any subject, however lightweight it may seem, into grist for their mill through the thoughtful questions they bring to it, whereas a dullard will find a way to drain the interest out of the richest subject”. To put it in another way, this means people who are able to have intellect should be able to adapt it to any situation and also apply it academically and I agree. I've always believed that the reason why we learn using what is relevant to our society now in our academic life is to keep us interested and also to take different pieces of information and use it to our full potential in literature, or just class in general. When I was in highschool, I later realized that I already had intelligence in science and English. In science we had to continuously take notes and make flash cards and some key terms stuck with me as i'm taking sociology , and psychology in college. By going to Advertising and Media highschool for English they had already taught me the MLA format. At the end of highschool we had to master it in order to pass the final tests, and this furthers my intelligence because already having so much practice I can now adapt to new changes in MLA. Learning never stops because there is always something new to find out. I believe humans are a species that have multiple hidden intellect within meaning we are a species cable of great things if we put our minds to it. In society in general if we don't show our different skill sets or "light bulbs" we wont be able to prosper because nothing shows were different from another person who has the same abilities. 
I also have hidden intellect on house building in the Sims 3. Its a stimulation game where you get to build your own society and I found out the different types of trees and woods that I would apply to every day life. For example I was talking to my mom about different types of wood and houses because there very detailed, relavant and accurate to now. This makes me feel I would be good at architecture in the future because the hotels I build in the game has all the essentials and more.

1 comment:

  1. Plagiarized title ;-)

    This is a good post! The Sims is awesome, and you all need to stop writing about it 'cause you're making me wanna blow my whole summer playing it again ;-)

    ReplyDelete