Monday, July 7, 2014

Hidden Intellectualism

In the reading, Hidden Intellectualism, by Gerald Graff, intellectualism doesn't necessarily have to have intellect or be scholarly, knowledge can also take form from "street smarts". That there is a difference between "book smarts" and "street smarts". Book Smarts can have a variety of forms, but for Street Smarts, it is considered "hidden intellectualism". Meaning that people would prefer being smart from books, then rather being smart from the streets. Gerald Graff states, I believe that street smarts beat out book smarts in our culture not because street smarts are nonintellectual, as we generally suppose, but because they satisfy an intellectual thirst more thoroughly than school culture, which seems pale and unreal. (202) . In other words, street smarts are more preferable than book smarts because in our society today, even though street smarts seem disliked by most people, it is more favorable and most liked. I agree with this statement because, usually when you're in a class filled with people, learning about a boring topic, the first thing you do is fall asleep. But, if that topic of your class is interesting and relates to something that is happening now or in your life., you won't be as bored. 

When I was younger, I had a thing for technology but mostly likely, computers. I liked being on them all hours of the day. Figuring out how they work and the systems/programs that are added to make it special and unique. But back then I didn't really think of it as something that I could see doing for the rest of my life. As I got older, I decided that I wanted to study psychology and learn how the brain works. I am still good at fixing computers and learning everything there is to know about computers, plus technology, but I think it would be best if I stuck to something that seemed more "realistic". 

                                                                     http://epiclul.com/book-smart-vs-street-smart/

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you when you say "you fall asleep in class when learning about a boring topic but wont be as bored if that subject is interesting and relates to something happening in your life." i feel schools should start teaching and letting students read magazines that interest them. after all, intellectualism doesn't just come scholastically, it can also come from street smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you believe that Graff agrees or disagrees that street smarts is more intellectual than scholarly knowledge as you put it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plagiarized title ;-)

    Good comments also! I'm curious why psych feels more realistic than computers, though?

    ReplyDelete