Tuesday, July 8, 2014

   
Hidden Intellectualism
      In the article "Hidden Intellectualism", Gerald Graff claims that unintellectual  young people somtimes can be smart enough. Most of time, It happens to see many young smart people who probably do not use their talent in academic field. Graff notes one of the reason that we associate even smart people on the street as unintellectual is because the academic institution do not invest at all  in them. According to Graff, "We assume that it's possible to wax intellectual about Plato, Shakespeare, the French Revolution, and nuclear fission, but not about cars, dating, fashion, sports, TV, or video games" (198-199).  Graft mentions the possibility to explores the concept smart from young people by giving them the opportunity to improve their skills in a field they are interested even though we mostly consider as non- academic. As sports, musics, and so on. Graff mentions that becomes a fan of a sport can be also considered as intellectualism, totally different than others as they may pretend it. He tries to challenge the schools with the sports. He states how his peers becomes so smart and are able to enthame some challenging discution between each others. In order to encourage many young students to perform well academically, schools try to let them see their interest "through academic eyes", as in sports, music, cars, and fashion. I feel that Graff disagrees with the idea of "Hidden intellectualism" by proposing some ways to young people develop their skills and to see their interest "through academic eyes".  
   
When I was little boy, I enjoyed to watch different kind of sports. I believed that can be a great soccer player in the future. I more often had very interesting debat with my brothers and friends about great players or teams. As long as I have being interested in sports, I believed I could share my knowledge in an institution where they tried to associate sports with the academic intellectual works. As Graff mentions his interest for sports and struggling  to integrate them into the academic performance. Back then, as a kid I didn't notice if I had an intellectual in sports as Graff mentioned.  I believe today I have an intellectual somehow in sports as soccer and I can use it to improve my skills academically.

1 comment: