Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Dr. Seward's diary--cont. (Sept. 20)

The funeral was set for tomorrow, so Lucy and her mother could buried together. I attended all the horrible formalities, and the sophisticated funeral director proved that his staff was humble with something of his own obedient, agreeable quality. After coming out of the death chamber, the woman who provided the final arrangements for the dead said to me, in a professional manner, "she is a very beautiful corpse. It was a pleasure to work on her. She will give our business a good rep."

I noticed that Van Helsing was always close by. This was okay because the house was out of order. There were no relatives available, and since Arthur had to return tomorrow to go to his father's funeral, there was no may we could contact anyone who should have been invited. Given the circumstances, Van Helsing and I decided to take it upon ourselves to examines papers and such. He insisted that he review Lucy's papers by himself. I questioned it because he was a foreigner and I was afraid that he would not fully understand English law and might make a foolish mistake.

He said to me, "I know. I know. You forget that I am also a lawyer. But this is not only for the law. You knew that, when you did not see the coroner. I have more than the coroner to avoid. There may be more papers, such as this."

As he talked, he took the memorandum, which Lucy had torn from her breast in her sleep, from his bag. "When you find Mrs. Westerna's lawyer, put all her papers into an envelope and send them to him. As for me, I'll stay the night in Lucy's room and look for things. It's not good that her last thoughts be read by complete strangers."

I went on with my business and in half of an hour, I found the name and address of Mrs. Westerna's lawyer and wrote him. All of her papers were in order. Specific directions were given in regards to the place of burial. In the middle of sealing the letter, unexpectedly, Van Helsing comes into the room and says, "do you need any help, John? I am finished and if necessary, I will help you." I asked him, "did you get what you were looking for?"

He responded, "I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I only wanted, and have found, all that was there, letters and memorandum, and a newly started diary. Here they are, and for the time being, I'll see Arthur tomorrow, and with his permission, I'll use them."

When we finished what we were doing, he said to me, "I think it is time for us to go to bed now. We are both tired and need to rest. We will have a lot to do tomorrow, but tonight we don't have anything more to do. Goodnight!" 

1 comment:

  1. Not bad! Though I have a heard time imagining this is in your own words; no where did you use the words "disrespectful" or "shade" ;-)

    ReplyDelete