Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I Say "Why Vampires Never Die"

"Why Vampires Never Die", by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, is an article based on the origin of monsters, why people love vampires, and what makes them so popular today. John William Polidori created Dracula, the worlds most famous vampire. As people know, Dracula is an immortal, nocturnal, blood lustful phenomenon that always makes the observer come back for more. Dracula brings out our most intense needs of wanting to be "superhuman" and have these powers of immortality or never growing old. As the article continues, it goes on how we, the people, crave for such entertainment as we read on and wanting to become immortal and having these freaky powers.

I enjoyed this article because whenever I read a certain fiction book, I always imagine myself in their shoes. As I was reading the article, I've gotten a better understanding of why and how people enjoy being in another world when they are reading. It's because they imagine themselves in the book itself, whether the book is about a romantic vampire, like Edward Cullens in Twilight, where he is very protective with his lady friend, and shows her love and affection, or a villain vampire who sucks mortal's blood for sustenance. As we read on or watch on, we imagine how it would be to be in their shoes. I agree with this statement because a lot of people wish that they can live until the end of time or never age. Since people can't really do that, they look to books and television to live their fairytale lives.

Question # 4 : A cultural manifestation that comes to mind would be zombies. How would life be if the world were taken over by zombies or how can one survive during a zombie apocalypse. I'm interested in zombies and how walking in their shoes would be. Another example would be a werewolf . Reading books like Twilight can give you taste of  what it would be like to be a werewolf. 


        

7 comments:

  1. This is a great idea, but did you think about what emotions do you feel while reading those books, if there are nightmares or fears some one experiences what might they be? any solutions or something

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you in that it is helpful to put yourself in the shoes of the characters, to better understand them, But what did you think of the authors explanation as to why people believe in monsters? (last paragraph pg 382).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good questions, here!

    And a good post. But be careful to summarize accurately; Polidori didn't write Dracula:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great respond
    Have you read anything else rather than twilight? You might have a better prospective about vampires if you read other books about vampire in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what you say about putting ourselves into the character's shoes because no matter what I watch, I always find myself wanting to be that character. And I love that you mentioned zombies because that's the last thing I thought of. But I don't think anybody wants to be a zombie because I don't think people see zombies being categorized into "good" zombies and "bad" zombies like they do with vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make some good points in your writing about the article. I feel like in your opinion about the passage could be one of the main thing that make many viewers afraid of watching the vampires' movies.

    ReplyDelete