Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Why We Crave A Christmas Carol

The last time I taught "Why We Crave Horror Movies," I stumbled across this gif:


And it still makes me laugh, even though I now know it was a hoax to show how videos go viral. Take a moment to consider the ingredients of most viral videos...

Is that not a perfect example of what Steven King is writing about! Really, I should be concerned that this poor young woman just fell through a glass coffee table onto candles that lit her yoga pants on fire. But no. I'm sitting here, cracking up at her misfortune.

Now that we've discussed this in class, let's take it and apply it to the first stave of A Christmas Carol (your reading for tomorrow). After summarizing the stave, begin to analyze the novel from King's perspective. Identify or quote a passage that you feel connects to King’s thesis and/or our class notes, and explain how/why.

Also, remember that you need to post before class starts!

Questions? Quibbles? Controversies?

No comments:

Post a Comment