Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Revelation of Intellectualism Through Street Smarts.

Hidden Intellectualism shares knowledge between the ideas of having intellectual knowledge and streets smarts. There are many people throughout the world ranging from youth to the elderly who have made their way through life just off the basis of these two kinds of knowledges. In the reading ‘Hidden Intellectualism’, street smarts are explained to be beneficial in life for those who have to make their way up without an intellectual knowledge. An intellectual knowledge is explained to be beneficial in addition with street smarts. If the time is devoted to taking interests that are on the levels of comfort to the individuals with street smarts, they can develop new learning methods to incorporate intellectualism with what they consider to be the norm. Many young people find it to be easier to speak on topics such as music, entertainment, sports, fashion, and more with ease. When the same people are challenged with topics of academia such as mathematics, literature, or social studies, they are unable to discuss these topics on an intellectual level. Given time and new approaches in an educational setting, these topics can be tackled with the same comfort as the discussions of fashion, music, and sports. In order to enter conversations and engage with others generally on an intellectual level, students would need to gradually adapt to reading intellectually challenging writing. Young adults, teenagers, and even children are not always fans of books and or reading. There are many different world known magazines that focus on many of the interests that are looked up to throughout society. These magazines can be used as a stepping stone to gradually form a new intellectual mindset. If the interest to read these magazines, articles, and papers are already set in, then eventually they can fuse into greater works. Over centuries education has been a known cause of bullying. If I child displays too much knowledge in any subject, they can be seen as a threat and that becomes detrimental to their well being. When we leave our adolescent years behind, we then learn how beneficial education is to progressing in life. We learn to articulate and correct out grammar and punctuation; all of which we've hidden behind us in effort to maintain a level of safety. Safety in anti-intellectualism.
Dear Journal, Hidden Intellectualism has been a great learning path thus far. I found the reading to be easier to tackle after I took the time to read through the preface and introduction of “They Say, I Say”, by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein. In the prior class readings, the only challenges I've faced were some of the vocabulary. In order for me to find clear understanding of the text, I took out all of the words and wrote out each definition to study after my completion of the text. I found that 'Hidden Intellectualism' didn't have many words that were out of my understanding. As I read through the article, I highlighted words throughout the reading, and copied down each word into my notebook. I take a new read through the text after I go through the definitions. I now have a more concrete understanding of what i read. Though 'Hidden Intellectualism' was not a complicated reading, I've always preferred to be sure that I understand everything thoroughly. The writing structure of the article gave examples of the information shared in the preface and introduction. In future reading and studying of the text, I hope to make beneficial improvements in my writing style and skills.

4 comments:

  1. i like what you wrote especially when you mentioned what teens are interested in and how if given those topics of discussion they would thrive. loving the pics you posted as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have amazing handwriting. I wish mine was that neat. I like how you made a connection with what younger people are interested in because I think it's true that people that are younger can connect more easily to street smarts because it's like a part of learning and the stuff in school isnt really relevant to stuff in real life all the time. I remember growing up I would say how are we going to use this in the future, what is the point of this. So yes you make a very good point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the part where you specifically mention teens and magazines. I have heard allot of talk about these magazines being a waist of time, but in actuality it keeps people informed on what is going on and gives them a little more knowledge on what is going on in pop culture, just a different aspect of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and great comments! We have a series Blog of the Week contender here ;-)

    ReplyDelete