Monday, January 13, 2014

The 4AM post

Hidden Intellectualism by Gerald Graff starts off with giving a slight back ground of the author stating that he was one of the people who wrote this book, and he was a President of the Modern Language Association.  He starts by analyzing street smarts and says that this has a major impact on our education, and is hinting that this should be incorporated into school education.  Veering off slightly, he says that in the earlier years of a students education, they should be taught in a way that would have a major impact on them, hence subjects that are interesting to those particular students.  He gives an example; he shares a story on page 199 last paragraph that he was very interested in sports and read up on a variety of articles that had to do with it.  For a while he believed that he wasn't growing intellectually, but now it is apparent that he had.  I agree with him because as long as young people are reading and enhancing there vocabulary, they should be able to acquire these traits how ever they want.   Jumping back to proving his point about how street smart is important, just like a persons intellect in there studies.  He recalls an incident where some "hoods" came up to him and stole his  money all because he was a smart ass.  He didn't really know how to talk and stand up to these types of kids because he was never taught, and this was detrimental to his self- respect.   Since he was lucky enough to have a good understanding of sports, he was able to rebuild this while conveying good arguments pertaining to the latest sports news.  Graff realizing that his knowledge of sports enabled him to branch out to the community since it was national as apposed to just what was going on within the school and in his small part of town.  
Time: 3AM, Date: 1/13/14 Me: Freaking out because I haven't gotten much sleep and haven't even thought about the blog post I have to make.  I run down stairs with my phone and book and start reading.  I get impatient and look at sparknotes for help, CRAP! they don't have a summary of "Hidden Intellectualism" that I can copy and paste and change a couple of words here and there to make it seem like my own!  I have to start skimming the book looking for some information in order for me to complete this assignment.  I find some information that looks good, type it up, hope it sounds good and send it off, just before 4AM.  This Vine portrays my exact feeling right now.  
http://www.revineking.com/2014/01/when-you-finally-finish-your-homework.html

P.S. I spent an adequate amount of time on this assignment.  Along with making small notes on sticky notes so that I can refer back to the text.  Thankfully I did not have to use a dictionary because I either knew all the words, or was able to understand what that sentence was about from context clues.  
P.P.S. No Sparknotes were used in the making of this blog Post.  

4 comments:

  1. Funny stuff here, Seth, and not a bad post.

    For the record, that "copy, paste, and change a few words" gimmick rarely works. It's just gives you book smarts; without the street smarts you get from actually reading, it doesn't do much good ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it rarely works, it would still sound to professional, and i am sure yo have read up on all of the commentaries people have written on this. And I disagree, i think that even skimming over the text won't give you adequate time to really get a feel for the material yo are going over, just merely what you think sounds good and hope the teacher won't call on you the next day.

      Delete
  2. Seth, I enjoyed reading your blog! In your writing you state both sides of being street-smart and book-smart, but I am wondering what is your opinion about it? What I mean if that what would you prefer more being a "street-smart" or "book-smart"? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, considering being street smart utilizes the knowledge of some of your book smarts and being able to keep a conversation going, I think if you are street smart, it probably means that that yo have a good knowledge of what is covered in books.

      Delete