Monday, January 27, 2014

Quotes that make you think wisely

Stave I
“To see the dingy cloud come drooping down, obscuring everything, one might have thought that Nature lived hard by, and was brewing on a large scale.”
Annotation:
Charles Dickens explains the mood of Scrooge in these quote, Scrooge’s house and the place where he lives is very gloomy, that even the nature as the author says, “Nature lived hard by, and was brewing on a large scale”. Who ever will pass Scrooge’s house will have a thought how dark his side is, that even the surroundings and nature was fitting his personality.
In this quote I didn’t understood the word “dingy clouds” when I looked it up I was very amazed that this word is hiding a very simple meaning, which is–dark.
I’ve highlighted one part of the quote to better understand it.


Stave II
“There was an eager, greedy, restless motion in the eye, which showed the passion that had taken root, and where the shadow of the growing tree would fall.”
Annotation:
While I was reading this quote I was imagining the picture of Scrooge, his behavoir and every movement he made. «restless motion in the eye» the use of these metaphore the author helps the readr to picture his characters, and pass the mood to the readers. It also shows how Scrooge is stunn byt ghost visit and what he grew inside of him, he just couldn't believe, what the spirit was showing to Scrooge opened a second wolrd, a second life for him. Hovewer I noticed that Dickenes wanted his audince to picture Scorooge as an old tree which already gave a lot of roots to ohter trees, and this darkest shadow of the big tree was causing others to be aways from sun, and in Scrooges sitiation its a dark shadow which grew for years blinded him from being generoce to people and think of others.

Stave III
“I went forth last night on compulsion, and I learnt a lesson which is working now. To-night, if you have aught to teach me, let me profit by it.”
Annotation:
Stave three was showing the readers how Scrooge wants to change in a better and productive way. After the spirit of past had shown him his past life of enjoyment and happiness and the people who loved him and he loved them.
At the end of the quote Scrooge says his last words, which he will keep for the rest of the chapter, that he will change, and benefit others.

Stave IV
“It is not that the hand is heavy and will fall down when released; it is not that the heart and pulse are still; but that the hand was open, generous, and true; the heart brave, warm, and tender; and the pulse a man's.”
Annotation:
I read this quote about 3-4 times to clerly understand but I am still not sure. As I understood it the author is telling us that its' important for people to be with open hands to one another, to open up our hearts and fill it with genorocity and goodness. What important is that we can turn our physical apperance into something good and profitable, we can live for others too, and use our heart, arms to help others.

Stave V
“I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel. I am as merry as a school-boy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to everybody! A happy New Year to all the world. Hallo here! Whoop! Hallo!”
Annotation:
It was a surprise for me how Scrooge changed just in one night; he became very happy and joyful. It was very funny to read how Scrooge said of himself that he is a feather and an angel, it wasn’t an easy thing to imagine from Scrooge who was always opposite of who he is now. Scrooge was happy as a child!!! Through author’s words, I can feel that Scrooge is very cheerful about what happened with him it is as a miracle.

In this quote the word “giddy” wasn’t common so I looked it up – dizzy.

1 comment: