Monday, January 27, 2014

Five quotes
Stave 1
Scrooge knew he was dead? Of course he did. How could it be otherwise? Scrooge and he              were partners for I don’t know how many years. Scrooge was his sole executor, his sole assign, his sole residuary legatee, his sole friend, and sole mourner.
Annotation.
Why use so many “his sole?” Legatee- legacy is bequeathed. Power of attorney. Marley was a replica of Scrooge, no family else why leave everything he had to Scrooge? Birds of a feather flock together.
Stave 2
‘Always a delicate creature, whom a breath might have withered,’ said the ghost. ‘But she   had a large heart.’
‘So she had,’ cried Scrooge. ‘You’re right. I will not gainsay it, Spirit. God forbid!’
          ‘So she died a woman,’ said the ghost, ‘and had, as I think, children.’
          ‘One child,’ Scrooge returned.
          ‘True,’ said the ghost. ‘Your nephew.’
Annotation.
I circled “whom a breath might have withered” and wrote “sickly.” The sister to Scrooge had a kind, generous, warm, loving,… heart. This for certain was inherited by Fred, Scrooge’s nephew. Thought- What have I passed on to my two children?
Stave 3
‘He told me, coming home, that he hoped the people saw him in the church, because he was a cripple, and it might be pleasant to them to remember upon Christmas Day, who made lame beggars walk, and blind men see.’
Annotation.
The sentence is all highlighted. Next to it I wrote Psalm 8:2a
Stave 4
‘Ah! You may look through that shirt till your eyes ache; but you won’t find a hole in it, nor a threadbare place. It’s the best he had, and a fine one too. They’d have wasted it, if it hadn’t been for me.’
Annotation.
I underlined this potion and shaded under “best he had.” I then wrote, paradox- very mean yet generously expensive to himself on clothing. Do we know this Scrooge?
Stave 5
‘I don’t know what to do!’ cried Scrooge, laughing and crying in the same breath; and making a perfect Laocoon of himself with his stockings. ‘I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to everybody! A happy New Year to all the world! Hallo here! Whoop! Hallo!’
Annotation.
All of this is highlighted and underlined. I wrote in the space, if Scrooge told anyone about the ghosts, would they believe him? If he tried to explain his feelings at this moment, would anyone understand? “The joy of the heart, nor its sadness, no one can share.” How simply the Bible puts it!



1 comment: