Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Five Annotated Staves of "A Christmas Carol"

Stave 1:
'' I wear the chain I forged in life," replied the Ghost. "I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?"
Annotation 1:
Marley was remind Scrooge that before he died, he himself was a crook and now has to suffer the consequences.  He is reminding Scrooge that they were in on these things together, and Scrooge continued these cruel dealings and will have to suffer also if he doesn't shape up.

Stave 2:
 "His partner lies upon the point of death, I hear; and there sat alone. Quite and alone in the world, I do believe."
Annotation 2: On the verge of his partner dying, he starts to realize that he has no one else for him. 

Stave 3:
"Now, being prepared for almost anything, he was not by any means prepared for nothing; and, consequently, when the Bell struck One, and no shape appeared, he was taken with a violent fit of trembling. Five minutes, ten minutes, a quarter of an hour went by, yet nothing came." 
Annotation 3:
Scrooge is used to getting what he wants, when he wants, hence the debt and interest in a short amount of time with no leeway.  The ghost is teaching Scrooge to be patent, and that the world doesn't revolve around him.  

Stave 4:
"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone!"
Annotation 4:
I like the quote the most because it really shows that Scrooge accepts himself for who he is and realizes he needs to change.  He also starts to realize that he isn't the most powerful person out there and that there are others who can "control him".  

Stave 5:
"He had no further intercourse with Spirits, but lived upon the Total Abstinence Principle, ever afterwards; and it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man possesses the knowledge."
Annotation 5: Let's say in a community everybody has a Mercedes except for one person.  Since it is so common, they don't take such good care of such an expensive thing and don't appreciate it's luxury.  When that last person finally gets enough money to buy a Mercedes, he appropriates it's value and does everything in his power to make sure he gets every little bit of good use and appreciation out of the car.  

1 comment:

  1. Great annotations! I especially like your 3rd one! Very observant!

    ReplyDelete