Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Drunk in Love

Nadirah Washington                                                                                                                    1/13/14
Blog entry #3

Dear Blogger,



                           I was given as Assignment today in class which at first I didn't really want to do but whats school without home work? As I began reading Gerald Graff, Hidden Intellectualism, I could hear Usher's "You Got It Bad" song playing in the living room. I continued to read the first two pages of the article, and after I went into the living room to find out what was going on. My boyfriend informed me that the songs he choose were dedicated to me and of course I went back to my reading with a smile on my face as I reminded him to turn the music down because I had work to do. 
            Funny enough the next song that played was Beyonce- Drunk in love and that is my song so I had to put my book down and sing the lyrics to the song.
 I've been drinking, I've been drinking
I get filthy when that liquor get into me
I've been thinking, I've been thinking
Why can't I keep my fingers off it, baby
 I want you, na na



When the song finished I continued reading where i had left off. But as I continued reading I disliked the authors point of view in regards to a statement he made in the reading which was "It was necessary to maintain the boundary between "clean cut " boys like me and working class "hoods" as we called them". I wasn't sure if it was because I stopped reading for a few minutes but at that point in the article I didn't agree with the tone of the author. As I continued reading I understood why that statement was made by the author to demonstrate the connection between the difference in "book smart" and "street smarts".
   Although society trys to divide the two in reality together they both help with the understanding of life, but what do I know Im just a college student.

P.S. Until we met again Blogger.....................................................................
 

1 comment:

  1. I think you and Graff are actually agreeing on this point, but it's difficult to tell without a summary of the article ;-)

    ReplyDelete