Monday, January 20, 2014

Research for Essay #1 for "Hidden Intelletualism"

Blog #5 – Research Essay #1
Blogger: CiTi
Student: Christine Thomas
Monday, January 20, 2014
 
Research for “Hidden Intellectualism” by Gerald Graff
Essay#1
 
In my research of the proofs and evidence that Gerald Graff uses in his article “Hidden Intellectualism”, I found two interesting resources that I never would’ve imagined I’d stumble across or seek out.  Both were sought out on the web (seeing I didn’t have access to the school’s library search online).  One search led to Bartleby.com.  This is a site that has a list of great books in their catalog, so I was able to find a famous quote of John Stuart Mill who wrote the essay “On Liberty”.  This is important because Graff uses this example in his essay to show the difference between what’s considered academic reading as opposed to what’s considered non-academic reading – which leads me to my next research.
 
I looked up Sport Life Magazine from 1948 and found that this issue had a cover story on Ted Williams, “two of which were Graff’s examples in the same article”.  It was important for me to look up the difference between the two writings to compare for myself if I can get intellect from reading them both.
ON Liberty:
The subject of this Essay is not the so-called Liberty of the Will, so unfortunately opposed to the misnamed doctrine of Philosophical Necessity; but Civil, or Social Liberty: the nature and limits of the power which can be legitimately exercised by society over the individual.
John Stuart
Mill
LONDON: LONGMAN, ROBERTS & GREEN, 1869 NEW YORK: BARTLEBY.COM, 1999


3 comments:

  1. I'm a little confused as to which reference you're researching here, as well as why you've included the quote by Mill. I also don't see how Graff uses any of this to prove his Claim :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this doesn't explain how its related to Graffs claim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll look through it again, but Graff uses these as examples to show what academic students are reading and what street-smart adolescence are reading. I figured if I take a peek at the readings, then I might be able to write why he used them as evidence to his claim that all street-smart kids need is an "academic eye".

    ReplyDelete