Sunday, December 1, 2013

Ackerman vs Villarreal

          In Chapter 14 of the book They Say, I Say, the author, Erin Ackerman, covers how to write a strong introduction, how to focus your arguments in the body of the review, and how to sum up your analysis in the conclusion. She covers about "good" writing and needing more than just an opinion to help prove your argument. Ackerman breaks down writing an essay and all the essential parts like your claim, why we should we care, opinions, important information, and analysis.  On one of the first pages, she writes "Good writing in the social sciences, as in other academic disciplines, requires that you demonstrate that you have thought about what it is you think" (176). Although you may think you know what your writing about and what your claim may be, it is highly possible of changing. 
          This writing for social sciences is exactly what I've been doing my entire semester in my English 24 class.  Every essay we've written needed a claim, outside info, and strong facts to back up my argument whether it be about vampires, the wizard of Oz, or popular television. A little more than now since our final essay is in the process of beig written, I'm learning on how to strongly state my argument and validate the important features it holds and why it is so important in pop culture. Trying to prove to someone facts and your opinions is a very difficult thing to do. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you see similarities, but what are the differences?

    ReplyDelete