Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Who's the Dummy, Dummy?

       In the article "Hidden Intellectualism" Gerald Graff argued that a person can acquire intellect from subjects not taught in school. As evidence for his argument, he used his personal experiences. Graff referred to himself as the "typical teenage anti-intellect."Up until college, all he cared for were readings about sports. By debating sports with his friends and reading about it, he began to understand the basics of intellect. Without realizing it Graff learned how to create an argument, summarize others' views, and establish a counterargument. He also learned how to compose sophisticated sentences. In Graff's opinion, street smarts beat school smarts. He felt this way because the things outside of school interested students way more. And because of this interest students would be able to generate more conversations and analyze it on a deeper level. Graff goes on to give another advantage of having street knowledge which was that it created a sense of community. Unlike school conversations which were isolated, Street conversations such as sports could be talked about anywhere at any time to any one.
      Reading this was pretty difficult because of my lack of concentration. I started the battle of doing my homework in my room while was watching Futurama. Needless to say I didn't get much reading done because Futurama is such an awesome show. During the middle of the program i was forced to my brother's room in order to make room for my visiting cousins. I felt that this was a sign to do my homework. With books and Macalicious ,my laptop, in hand, I mentally prepared myself to actually get work done. As i entered my brother's room i could hear shooting and screaming coming from the speakers hooked up to his tv. He was playing Grand Theft Auto V. My attention was caught immediately and i watched in awe as he sped down the virtual streets of Los Santos. He eventually turned off the game but left the tv on to go to sleep. It was finally time to get started on my work. At least i thought it was until American Dad came on ( another awesome show). After the show ended i turned off the tv, turned on the Beethoven station on Pandora, and started doing serious reading. I had to keep rereading paragraphs because my mind would wander in mid sentence. I didn't take notes because i left my post-its in my room and the journey upstairs wasn't really worth it at the time. My laziness resulted in me having to reread the article over and over when i attempted to summarize. There were a couple of sentences i didn't understand because i didn't know what certain words meant. But that was no problem because i have a phone that can tell me what any word means. Thank you Siri. Only thing about using my phone for work is it distracts me too. Before searching for the definitions, i had to text people, go on instagram, take a couple of pictures, and read the Daily News.

7 comments:

  1. i think we are all distracted by the 100 different type of technology we have in our homes... however, your summarization of what you read was really good, well thought out and detailed (so maybe reading it over & over wasnt such a bad thing???). do you agree with the author, about giving students something to write about based off something they enjoy and believing they will do well in that case?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was pretty funny, but I get what you mean with all those distractions. I had to reread it also. At least you finally found some time you get it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria the distractions were real. I didn't even put all Thw distractions at that. But at the same time I wasn't trying to
      Fight those distractions, I just went with it. Maybe next time I'll lock myself in the bathroom so I can get stuff done.

      Delete
  3. Heaven I totally agree with graff. How can a person really think about something on a profound level if they're really not into it. I believe that more students would be involved in school if schools spoke about something interesting to student

    ReplyDelete
  4. So there's this fantastic button on all electric devices call the "Off" switch that makes them MUCH less distracting ;-)

    I admit to being highly destractable, too, of course. I used to put movies on for background noise, but now that I'm in a doc program, and my work requires more focus, I use Pandora, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what is this off button you speak off?!?!?! i dont think my phone or tv can do that

      Delete