Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Street Smart or Book Smart

     Gerald Graff has written an article called "Hidden Intellectualism" which talks about what people think about students who go to school, have a teacher teach them everything they need to know. Also about what people think if students are just naturally street smart and does real bad in school. No one has put the effort in to try and mix street smart and book smart together, which means the teachers would have to see what the kids are in to and relate it to what they are learning in the class. Graff's even explained a little of his life style behind it saying he was a  " teenage anti-intellect" up until college. All he liked to do was read and argue about magazines based on sports, that helped him learn how to start an argument. Graff's opinion about the article is that street smart is way better than book smart but they need to combine it together if they want students to learn better.

     I think that this article is great, I always have wondered the same thing. The teacher always know when you can or can not understand something but never knows how to get you to know it, which is pretty easy just use street terms and remarks. I think if we get more books or articles about what us kids, students, young adults think everyone would pass their classes and get what they want which is success.

    I read the book when i was on my way to work, on my lunch break, on my way home from work, all while listening to music also. I am a young man that have a busy schedule. I had to read it separately  because i get very bored just staying in one spot for a very long time, even a short period of time. I must be doing 2 things at once in order for me to understand more. If i am just reading the book, while i read i would just think about other things ii could be doing besides reading but if im already doing one thing then reading ii would not think about anything else. When Graff said " I have recently come to think, however, that my preference for sports over schoolwork was not anti-intellectualism so much as intellectualism by other means " sound like it means a lot and would help teachers use street life to help the students but i was confused by what it meant. So i had to read the paragraph over again, every time I stopped reading then want to continue again i start from begining of the passage or start from  the passage before. No i didn't take notes but when i think something is interesting i would repeat it in my head so I wouldn't forget it. Before i wrote this i had to read some parts of the article to remember what it was about, remember i was doing more than one thing at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Rah! But maybe try taking notes in the future, so you don't have to reread it, and save time!

    ReplyDelete