Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Popular readings inside the academia

Hidden Intellectualism by Gerald Graff, some students are knowable in several cultural areas, though, they tend to fail in academic subjects. The trouble is textbooks whose content are not in the interest of every student, for they focus on narrow subjects that have passed generation after generation. Intelligence seems to be measured by memorizing historical events such the French revolution  and Plato, but current instances apparently do not reach the standards of intellectualism. It settles there because there have no been a connection between academics and popular culture. As a result, a smart one could make any piece of writing an embraceable topic of discussion, whilst a "dullard" may figure out the path to screw up any passionate topic. Then it is not enough to introduce the topic of student's interest, for some may take those subjects as an opportunity to expand their brains, yet  others may end up doing a poor job. It follows, then the challenge is to make those "nonacademic interest's" subjects to be understood through the scholar lenses, otherwise it will not work. In short, making those passions the object of study can pull back students' attention, and may or may not close to academia.


I read a particular piece of script by Graff, title Hidden Intellectualism, in my English class book, They say I say. Normally, I go through the writing until finding some picture. It often describes what is the text about, though, there is not drawn on this case. After staring at the pictures, I go ahead and read all at once or at least until someone or something interrupts me. I started the reading just after a put some coffee in the coffee maker when the alarm went off I stopped to take a cup of coffee. Meanwhile, I began to compare some school reading with the reading that I frequently do. Thus the content showed some sense of truth. Sitting back with the cup in one hand and in other the book, I prepared to continue looking through the sentences. It had transcurated several minutes since I passed by sentence after sentence. When door bass came, I went to see who was there it was my roommate whose keys forgot. I chatted with him for a minute or two and then each of us return to our respectable tasks. Going back to the same place, I quickly finished the last page.

Since the early reading was quick, I visited the pages again but this time I took extra attention in the sentence that stayed in my mind. For this type of sentences I used sticky notes where I annotated every part of the text that come across as significant for further study. Personally, I do not enjoy highlighting or writing on the pages. When I find a word that is new, I draw down and look it up to insight the reading better. While I type the summary, I make use of early notes but I also review part of the text where the notes come from. To sum up, the more I review the script, the more I relate some of the reading that I have done while riding the subway, and that I have not put enough efforts to see "through academic eyes."(Graff, 204)

    

2 comments:

  1. I think your reading style is similar to mine. I usually have to multi-task while trying to concentrate on what I need to read. The day can be too busy to set a side a whole hour of uninterrupted time to do one reading. When you're forced to work with distractions, you learn how to focus and get everything done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Dawn. My rule of thumb is that as soon as I start losing focus on what I'm working on, I move on to something else. Otherwise, you just waste time doing something you're probably going to have to do over :-/

      This is a great post, Victor! And it made me want a cup of coffee...

      Delete