Tuesday, October 1, 2013


Ouch!

Talk about hitting too close to home. After reading Hidden Intellectualism, I could not help but do some self-reflecting and re-evaluate the way I view certain subjects and topics of conversation. In the article the author, Gerald Graff basically breaks down street smarts vs. book smarts.  I could not help but think of that old saying I would hear a lot of older folks say regarding some over educated know-it-all “He’s so smart that he’s stupid”. One of the points made in the article was that real intellectuals can have a thought-provoking conversation about any subject no matter how lightweight it may seem, whereas a person without much substance will “drain the interest out of the richest subjects”.  I interpreted this to mean that a “dullard” as he called it is only capable of speaking on that which has been regurgitated over and over again. Which I can somewhat relate to because I’m kind of at a point where I’m tired of all the feminist-does hip-hop send the wrong message- sex sells-black men who only date white women-light-skin vs. dark –skinned debates…enough already.  Speaking of which…when I wrote my blog last Friday I did not think that there would be anything of substance to relate to how the four authors, Guillermo Del Toro, Chuck Hogan, Eric Camarillo and Stephen King would relate to each other regarding Dracula, because I initially felt that the subject of vampires was kind of trivial. However, as I began writing I began seeing parallels and different concepts. Instead of just wanting to reach 250+ words I ended up going over because I began seeing things in a different light; but even before that, just listening to the conversations in class regarding the reading made me realize that anything can be analyzed, debated, and intellectualized.   

Graff not only breaks down street smarts vs. book smarts but he challenges the school system as well.  Though I will not go into everything he wrote in detail because I am running on limited time (yes I am a slacker,) I think he says it best when he quotes college professor Ned Laff in which he states that the school systems responsibility “is not simply to exploit student’ nonacademic interest, but to get them to see those interest through academic eyes.”  For me that says it all because at the end of the day there is no greater education than the one that comes from the school of hard knocks.

Being that this article really appealed to me, I did not have to take notes. There was not anything that I found confusing and I read. I read the article straight through as I was sitting outside enjoying the ocean view.

1 comment:

  1. You're a little all over the place here, King :-) And can you go into more detail about your process? I asked a lot of questions in the prompt that you're kind of ignoring :-/

    ReplyDelete