Thursday, October 17, 2013

Fuel To Our Bodies


Don’t Blame the Eater written by David Zinczenko is an article in “They Say, I Say” about the dangers of fast food eating. The author says he was a latchkey kid, divorced parents and fast food joints as options for a meal. Not exactly the healthiest for a growing child. The argument in this reading is that poor eating habits and unhealthy decisions don’t just affect the individual it affects the entire population. The author knows that fast food restaurants are going to continue to survive in the economy if they place their establishments in the right location. These locations are targeted towards those of lower income and poverty, but it is our lack of knowledge that puts US at risk. The author is using statistics and evidence from the Center for Disease Control to back up his argument. Type 2 diabetes will be a growing issue on the person and on health insurance companies, or public dollars depending on that person’s social class. However some of this information is outdated, judging by the fact that he mentions that food packages do not have calorie count (196) because that’s all we see today. The motivator for Zinczenko’s argument is his own life experience. Having fast food as an only option to then joining the Navy Reserves in college and being able to educate himself on better choices helped him to notice how we kill our bodies with the crap we consume. This particular topic was actually spoken about this week in my Sociology class. From my own experience I was sort of the opposite. I had a stay at home parent that made three meals a day, we are Hispanic so they weren’t the best choices but it wasn’t all saturated fat. When I went into college that became the issue. Juggling a full time Army career with full time college, there wasn’t exactly any time in the day to make healthy choices. But as the weight started packing on, and I noticed how tired my body felt and after having a blood panel at my doctors appointment with a cholesterol level of over 350, I knew I needed to make some changes. In the end, it is up to the individual to take a stand and make a change. We could have all the information in the world about why a particular meal is harmful for us, but in life we have choices. Diet is the most important factor in living a long, healthy life and exercise is a contributing factor. We all love food, and the urge to say no is difficult however we do not eat to love food, we eat to fuel our bodies. This is the close reading I will be using for essay #2.

2 comments:

  1. This was very informative. I know what you mean, I got home cooked meals everyday and they weren't very healthy. We were all very tired and kinda nasty and I finally convinced my mom to stop buying certain foods. Being healthy is not always easy but it is definitely worth it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's some great analysis here, Heaven, and I hope you consider continuing with this topic for Essay #3 or your Class Presentation.

    I had similar issues with my health when I first went to grad. school (I gained 10 pounds my first year). When I started my doctoral program, a presenter at my orientation said to stay active because the average doc. student gains 40 pounds during their studies! There was no way I was gonna let that happen. I signed up for a Spartan Race with my brother, trained for really the first time in my life, and I've kept it up for the most part :-)

    ReplyDelete