Sunday, September 15, 2013

WHY I CRAVED DRACULA

Dracula, written by Brom Stoker is a very old yet popular story. The story starts out with Jonathan Harker who is traveling long and far to meet with Count Dracula.  Harker is a new solicitor who is interested in selling property to Dracula. The way the story is written is in a journal form. Harker notates his journey, the carriage ride, the inns, the different foods and recipes. Stoker does a very good job at painting the picture in my head of how creepy this book is going to be. The way he describes the foreigners whispering as they find out where he is headed to or how he speaks of the weather, scenery, the sounds the wolves makes as he makes his entry to Dracula’s doorstep, he speaks with fear and uncertainty.

As Harker makes his way into Dracula’s home, he cleans up and eats and converses with Dracula. He mentions that his appearance is pale and thin, fragile. However his handshake is strong, almost too strong. Although Harker seems uneasy and nervous, his is also eager to learn more and see more. When he mentions he is a prisoner, after finding several doors that are locked, that’s when I became hooked. I suppose that in reference to Stephen King’s article, “Why We Crave Horror Movies” the mention of people being mentally ill or their desire to push their emotions to the limit, applies to Harker. To be frightened, yet still stick around after hearing the stories of St George’s Day, means that Harker is willing to embrace that fear and wants to see where exactly it takes him. Now I must say I was not too thrilled at first, the only thing I really know about Dracula is that it has something to do with Vampires, my mistake. But for some reason, I kept turning the page. Something about this book left me wanting to know more! And it is not because I am mentally ill, nor do I wish something bad upon the characters (because obviously the story is already written) it just amazes me how someone can be this creative and draw this much attention from their readers.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Heaven, I agree. I was on the train flipping through my iBook to see what was going to be of Jonathan Harker. Nonetheless, I like what you did here, explaining your previous thoughts of Dracula before you read the book. Allows one to see where your mind was and how it changed through your reading. but i wonder, what questions do you have for the 6 chapters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Enosha, heaven. This is well written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enosha, honestly... i want to know when and if Dracula will make his move.. is he going to use Harker as prey? is he just messing with his head? will Harker leave safely and will he remember anything from his stay at Dracula's castle? because in chapter 4, he wakes in his own room, not exactly remembering anything about those 3 women that surrounding him in that particular room. he memory and attention to detail always seems vague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, excuse the spelling/grammatical errors please! i just caught a bunch of things that were off in my previous post.. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was very easy to read. Everything flowed effortlessly. And the way you connected the novel to the article we read was very good and elaborate.

    ReplyDelete