Monday, September 30, 2013

Thank god for Dracula

          In the article Hidden Intellectualism by Gerald Graff, Graff explains to us the intellectual potentials of being "street smart" and "book smart".  He writes how one is so different from the other and how a lot more kids would be book smart if schools taught us about things we want to learn about and interested in, like cars,sports or fashion.  Graff was only an adolescent when he became an intellectual, not by books, but by the thing he loved the most, sports.  The only reading he became interested in was about sports, football basketball, baseball.  In his later years he still was hooked on Sports Illustrated and all sorts of magazines.   Reading those boring books in class was just not his thing.  "If a student cannot get interested in Mills On Liberty but will read Sports Illustrated or Vogue or the hip-hop magazine, this is a strong argument for assigning the magazines over classics".  Graff is saying how a persons interest strives them to be a better reader, or writer.  I think anyone would pick a magazine over some 400 page boring novel, I know I would.

          I was reading this while laying down in my bed.  After a long day at school the last thing I want to be doing is reading but I muted my TV and began.  At first I was a little confused as to what Graff was trying to say but then by the second page I was actually pretty interested and totally agreed with him so I wanted to hear more.  I underlined some main points that I thought were important and used those as a guise to write this blog post, if I didn't I would have had to read the whole thing over again because I would of forgot! I can actually really relate to what Graff is trying to say and thank god Dracula is interesting because then I would probably do really poorly on my blogs and essays because it's really hard for me to read and them explain something that I do not get or have any interest in knowing about.

3 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    i totally agree.. Dracula was a better picking (although it is also sometimes dull). at least we arent reading some of what i saw in the school's book store! that would've made the semester torture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you as well. I also found the reading to be a bit lackluster in the beginning but it get interesting quickly. Bonus point for the creative title, Dracula is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad so many of you are enjoying the novel; I had second thoughts at the last minute when it was too late to change my mind :-)

    Good post, Amanda! Maybe next time turn off the TV instead of just muting it ;-)

    ReplyDelete