Sunday, September 15, 2013

Its funny how the mind works. Dracula

In the article Why We Crave Horror Movies by Stephen King, King makes one realize how humans love and crave a feeling of thrill.  Whether its going on a roller coaster or seeing a scary movie, this feeling we get is quite addictive.  I believe we get this same feeling while reading certain novels.  While reading Dracula by Bram Stoker, i have to admit the suspense of what would happen next kept making me read more and more. Its like every chapter kept ending on a cliffhanger and I had to know what was yet to come.  A lot of TV series like to do this with the endings of every episode to keep the audience wanting more and leaving them with a feeling of excitement and being impatient to see what would happen that very next week.  The last line of Chapter Two is where I really got into the book.  Jonathan Harker wrote in his journal that night  "The castle is a veritable prison, and I am a prisoner!"  This line really took me by shock and grabbed my interest right away.  I told myself I was only going to read two chapters that night but that line made me read three instead.  That alone makes me agree that reading a horror novel can be the same as watching a horror film and one would still get the same excitement and thrill out of it.  Like King said, we humans for some reason enjoy watching each other get hurt and the most awful things catch our attention like a car crash, and its like we have to know what happen even though we knew no one involved.  I agree because after reading that line from the end of the chapter, knowing Jonathan Harker was held prisoner by the feared Dracula, i just had to know what the next chapter would tell us.

3 comments:

  1. Amanda, i laughed reading your post because i guess we both became interested at the same point of the book. it was a catchy phrase to use, maybe the rest of the class felt the same way! (too bad this blog doesn't have a "like" button like Facebook)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, heaven! I've added a "Like" button to the bottom of our posts :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad you're both into the novel.

    However, Amanda, don't forget to first summarize the reading we're discussing ;-)

    ReplyDelete