Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Text Talk

 They Say, I Say With Readings by Gerald Graff, Cathy Birkenstein, and Russel Durst, Chapter nine "Ain't so, Is Not" "Academic Writing Doesn't Always Mean Setting Aside Your Own Voice"

Talks about the many different ways to write appropriately.  "I Think, Therefore IM Text Shortcuts Invade Schoolwork, and Teachers Are Not Amused" by Jennifer 8. Lee is an adapted article from What's language got to do with it? by Keith Walters and Michal Brody. Lee explains how the English language is getting destroyed by the new language called texting with words and phrases consisting of ""brb" be right back, "l8r" later, u you, r are, b4, before".  I had to write a paper on this article so I will take a paragraph from this my paper and study it to see if I've ever used any of my own everyday expressions, words or structures.
    After looking over the first page, I've used slang such as "brb, ur, omg, btw, lol and expressions such as "Cool Story Bro!" "Poker Face meme",  "Watch out! We got a bad ass over here!"
See I was trying to make the connection between slang and phrases and how we can identify with someone who uses them. For example, Batman says "I am Batman", people know him for saying it (literally).
        A part of one of my paragraphs is this little piece of art:
"If I had to choose btwn writing like this rather then like this I would write like this “bc’ it is faster to write the txting language then it is to write the standard way of writing. Writing is supposed to be a self expression, that is why we keep journals, we jot down what we want or how we feel when we want, as well as how we want."


Works Cited:
They Say, I Say With Readings by Gerald Graff, Cathy Birkenstein, and Russel Durst, Chapter nine "Ain't so, Is Not" "Academic Writing Doesn't Always Mean Setting Aside Your Own Voice W.W Norton Company, Inc 2012 New York


 What's language got to do with it? by Keith Walters and Michal Brody. W.W Norton Company, Inc 2005 New York


3 comments:

  1. good summery glad that you saw your mistakes, dont worry i use to write the same way. and i like what you said "Writing is supposed to be a self expression" definitely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the "texting" language the same as the colloquial language referred to by the author? How does one say "brb" when conversing? I'm not saying you are wrong just that I view it differently.

    ReplyDelete