Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Not Losing Myself

 In They Say/ I Say by Gerald Graff chapter nines essay Ain't So/ Is So authors Kathy Birkenstein and Russell Durst offer their ideas about how "you do not need to lose your voice" in your academic writings. They warn to use caution that if you are writing a letter to a prospective employer it is best for you to use formal language. However, when writing college level essays they believe that you can blend both your "street" vocabulary with your academic language to better relay your or to capture the reader. 

I will be using an excerpt from an essay I wrote in English 12 titled "My Writing Skills" demonstrating if I used any of my everyday expressions rather than academic expressions.

Initial Writing:

"My first thought about english 12 was that it was going to be complicated. After 12 years of no schooling, I was sure I had forgotten how to write a proper paper, one that is properly structured with correct grammar. The fear of not being able to write a proper paper was my greatest weakness. A weakness that would hinder my grade on future papers. Another weakness being the difficulty I have in writing an introduction. Introducing the topic is not a problem but creating a thesis statement or the placement of a thesis statement is often difficult.I also have trouble with being repetitive, I find myself saying the same thing over and over in a paper but in different ways. I have hopes to improve this sooner rather than later".

Re-Write:

My first thoughts about English 12 were that it was going to be complicated. I was sure I had forgotten how to write an academic paper, one that is properly structured with correct grammar. The apprehension that I felt was my greatest weakness, a weakness that could hinder my overall grade. There were a plethora of weaknesses associated with my academic writing. To start I had great difficulty in creating a thesis statement, not only that I did not know the correct placement of the thesis statement. I am often repetitive in my writing I have hopes to improve this sooner rather than later.

1 comment: