Monday, July 1, 2013

Being An Intellect In More Ways Than One

    In "Hidden Intellectualism" by Gerald Graff he basically gives his experience on how he felt about books. He hated books but loved to read sports magazines or anything that had sports in it. To him being street smart is a part of intellectualism as well as being book smart. In reading sports books and magazines he learned the rudiments of the intellectual life such as how to make an argument, weigh different kinds of evidence, move between particulars and generalizations, summarize the views of others and enter a conversation about ideas. Reading what you love can be an big impact on you. Gerald Graff shows us that you don't have to read boring books and learn nothing from it. You can read what you love and develop intellectual skills more ways than one.
    When reading "Hidden Intellectualism" by Gerald Graff I was at home in my room watching the 2013 BET Awards. I'm weird right. I find myself multitasking a lot while reading books. While reading it I had no problems understanding it. I didn't need to read it more than once.  I used my sticky page flags to mark parts that I found interesting and worth quoting. I took flagged main points in the article. I didn't find a problem with this article at all. It was clear to me and I didn't need to go back to understand anything.

2 comments:

  1. Late!

    Maybe if you focused on the reading instead of the BET Awards, you could have posted on time ;-)

    ReplyDelete