Sunday, June 23, 2013

Children Need an Outlet Too!!

Gerard Jones author of  "Violent Media is Good for Kids" writes to explain that he feels that violence in media can help by giving children a reprieve to channel their raging thoughts.  Mr. Jones states, "modern culture cultivates and teaches dependency and that "creative violence" gives children a tool to master their rage." For example,  rage can encourage someone who feels as if they can not stand up for themselves to be pushed by their rage, to finally take a stand. Gerard Jones discusses how what was deemed "violent" reading for him helped him to  breakthrough his passivity and to become more "self-assertive and self exposing person he became in his adulthood. 

I agree that modern culture cultivates and teaches dependency. We are taught to be fearful and to depend on that fear so as not to get hurt. I remember as a child I was obsessed with the holocaust and read fictional books about the ordeal. As an adult I often wondered why I was prone to read about the violent way the Jewish population was treated during this time. I came to the realization that I was looking for a way to stand up for myself and the readings help me do that by pretending to be the main character in that story and rewriting the ending where the main character survives because she helped the people to unite and fight for their freedom from persecution. While some parents might not deem these kinds of books violent or wrong. My parents knew how vivid my imagination was and at a point forbade me to read those books in fear that I found enjoyment in what I read that was happening to that population at that time. 

In King Solomon's Mines the violence seems to keep the story going to give some type of action. I do not believe it is a violence that could push a child into becoming a violent, it has no adult material. For example, when Quartermain goes elephant hunting. The guide steps in the path of the angry elephant and because of this the elephant kills the man by tearing him in half. In this instance of violence it does not portray a human acting uncivil but portrays an animal acting perhaps as it should. This could help divert some rage a child is feeling by that child becoming enthralled with the piece and pretending he is the elephant thereby getting out some rage in a healthy manner. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting take, Takisha!

    But what about viewing the violence enacted by the hunters?

    ReplyDelete