Sunday, June 30, 2013

Book Sense Is Not Common Sense

          In Gerald Graff's " Hidden Intellectualism" he speaks about how some young persons are "street smart" but performs poorly in school. He says that schools should have subjects that interest the young persons and not the powers that be. He goes on to give his experience as an adolescent, stating that he didn't like reading except for sport magazines and books.  He shows that his reading of these sport magazines and books were training him to like the "intellectual bit." He realized that his debates with his friends in analyzing sport teams, movies and toughness was his "practicing being an intellectual." He also suggest that schools should introduce material that would engage students instead of them tuning out anything academic. I think today that more subjects are being added to the curriculum that would engage street smart students, for example there are course involving sports, so the tide is turning.
      I started reading or tried to read it when I got home from class on Thursday but fell asleep before I was finished. I then read it while on the bus and completed it before my journey was over without interruptions. I didn't make any notes or underline any phrases I thought important and glanced through it while writing my summary.
     In growing up, I always heard the phrase "book sense is not common sense." Graff is talking about street smart versus academic intelligence as is the phrase. Graff is saying that they think if you are street smart you are not academically intelligent while the phrase is saying that you may be academically intelligent but have no common sense, no street smarts, don't know how to use your intelligence in every day life. I think to get through life you need to be both street smart and academically intellectual.

1 comment:

  1. Not a bad post, Dennika!

    But where're your answers to the other questions I asked?

    ReplyDelete